Greetings!

It is my deep, dark pleasure to announce the annual Online Hallowe'en Artists' Studio Tour! This is my "treat" to you all, a special way to celebrate my favorite season, share some exceptional art by artists I personally admire and raise money for animal charities. With this blog, I hope to keep you up-to-date with proceedings and progress as we approach the yearly "launch" on October 1st!



Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Helping the Bats!

Okay, why am I doing this? Yes, I want to share all this incredible art with as many people as possible but also I would very much like to raise awareness concerning our bats. Bats? Yes, those adorable little critters that eat unbelievably huge amounts of insects and pollinate plants. As our natural world continues to be pinched (by us humans), getting smaller and smaller, bats are loosing ground.

Right now, in fact North American bat populations are suffering from a very scary disease called "White Nose Syndrome" that is literally wiping out entire colonies of bats while they hibernate. No one has yet determined the cause of the syndrome, but its affects are devestating. No bats means LOTS of insects which means crop loses, vegetation damage and, yup, lots of mosquitoes, black flies, deer flies, etc... feasting on you and me! Yicks!

To read more about bats, please visit Bat Conservation International at http://www.batcon.org/ . Each artist participating in this online tour has been asked to donate to BCI in lieu of a fee. So let's save our bats!

No comments:

Post a Comment