Greetings!

It is my deep, dark pleasure to announce the annual Online Hallowe'en Artists' Studio Tour! This is my "treat" to you all, a special way to celebrate my favorite season, share some exceptional art by artists I personally admire and raise money for animal charities. With this blog, I hope to keep you up-to-date with proceedings and progress as we approach the yearly "launch" on October 1st!



Sunday, November 8, 2015

And the porch light is turned off


Our tour officially closed yesterday, November 7th, as it has in previous years to allow for late-comers and to keep the statistics consistent.  But this year it's different... 

After hosting the tour for 7 years and literally being a 1 person operation, I'm considering ending its run.  By now, with 7 years under our belt, I thought it would be easier to get new artists and to keep past artists but every year it's been a struggle as artists say they're "too busy".  I need to re-assess the value of hosting the tour, especially as this year our numbers (both in trick or treaters and sales, and therefore donations) are low, about 1/3 of 2014's statistics.  And I thought last year was tough, as I'd just moved and was not able to spend the time I wanted to on the tour.  This year I did pretty well with my list of targets, so it isn't my efforts that were lacking as they were in 2014.

  We're not reaching our potential buyers, not like we did in former years, and since advertising is supposed to be the responsibility of each and every participating artist I fear I'm being let down. There is always the golden group, the gals I know who are telling folks about the tour, but those who share with me their promotional activities are few.  (In case you're unfamiliar with the artists' guidelines, there is no fee for taking part in the tour but, by taking part, all artists agree to help advertise.) 

So, what shape will the tour take in 2016?  Or does it stay buried?  Or will it morph into a smaller but more dynamic beast?  If you have comments or ideas, please share them with me by email, woosel{at}scratchingatthewindow.com.     

No comments:

Post a Comment